7.22.2011

Hyperbole and A Half

A friend and I were discussing the use of crappy grammar. People a) have become super lazy in their written communication, or b) they simply cannot grasp proper grammar and spelling. Having a degree in technical writing, I like to think I'm fairly in touch with the world of grammar.

These errors, as small as they seem, can make or break a person's credibility. I once worked at a company where the Director of Sales emailed a company-wide PowerPoint presentation that gave us an overview of what his group had been working on for the past quarter. I noticed so many grammatical errors that I actually printed the slideshow and edited it. I have to admit, to this day, I still think slightly less of his intelligence since having read his presentation. Spell check,  Google, get a book, ask a friend, whatever it may be, you have options. Use them.


These are some examples of grammatical errors that drive me nutty:

*Alot. It's A lot. How hard is that? It's 4 letters.

*U. I disapprove of u typing u instead of you. I get it, we're all busy. But 2 more characters?

*There. Their. They're. This might be a toughie. I admit, I have backspaced, thought about it for a split second, and retyped. But this is totally 3rd grade stuff.

*Your right. No, you're wrong. If you're trying to say "you are" then subtract the A and add the apostrophe. Simple. Otherwise you're (see, that says you are) showing ownership by typing your.





So, being that we both enjoy grammar, my friend sent me a post from a blog that he enjoys. It was titled, The Alot. I've been hooked since. I seriously laugh out loud at every post. This is a great thing.

This Blog Makes Me Laugh, Alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment